Saturday, November 29, 2008

Body Worlds

Today I attended an Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies. It was fascinating & educational for both Julia & I.
We were able to discover what we are made of. Among my favorite parts was the stages of a fetus from conception to birth.
I was most interested in the 9 week old fetus with 10 beautiful tiny fingers, it was amazing. I learned that athletes have really big hearts. I know that when you exercise your heart gets stronger, but I did not know that it can weigh up to 17 ounces. The average heart is 10 ounces. Looking at a set of black lungs made me glad that I do not smoke. There were many quotes throughout the exhibit, I want to document a couple of them.
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions." ~The 14th Dalai Lama (1935-)
The Case of Happiness
Optimists - those who think the glass is half full - are less likely to die of heart disease than pessimists - those who think the glass is half empty.
Is the glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty? You decide.

No comments: